The Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park is a protected area of the Philippines located about 80 kilometres north of the city centre of Puerto Princesa, Palawan. The river is also called Puerto Princesa Underground River. The national park is located in the Saint Paul Mountain Range on the western coast of the island. It is bordered by St. Paul Bay to the north and the Babuyan River to the east. The City Government of Puerto Princesa has managed the National Park since 1992. The entrance to the subterranean river is a short hike or boat ride from the town Sabang.
In 2010, a group of environmentalists and geologists discovered that the underground river has a second floor, which means that there are small waterfalls inside the cave. They also found a cave dome measuring 300 m (980 ft) above the underground river, rock formations, large bats, a deep water hole in the river, more river channels, another deep cave, as well as marine creatures and more. Deeper areas of the underground river are almost impossible to explore due to oxygen deprivation.
On November 11, 2011, Puerto Princesa Underground River was provisionally chosen as one of the New7Wonders of Nature. This selection was officially confirmed on January 28, 2012.
The Underground River Tour is a whole day tour starting from Puerto Prinncesa City, Palawan. The tour calls for a two-hour ride to Sabang, a short boat ride from the wharf to Sabang Beach, the entrance of the Underground River, and the actual boat ride going inside the cave.
Each group is assigned a boatman with paddle boat equipped with a search light. The boatman gives a running commentary while viewing the formations inside the pitch-dark recesses. A most impressive area inside would be the ‘cathedral’, towering some 800 meters in height. More pics from Underground river here!
- All Entrance Fees & Permit
- Roundtrip Air-con Van Tranfers
- Motorized Boat Transfers
- Licensed Tour Guide
- Buffet Lunch
- 6:00 am Pick up at hotel for 2.5 hours travel via air-conditioned van on rugged and winding road over the scenic countryside.
- 9:00 – 9:30 am Estimated arrival at Sabang wharf
- Proceed to 20-30 minute boat ride to the Underground River Park. At the entrance of the park, one may encounter monkeys and monitor lizards in a rain forest setting.
- Proceed to 45 minutes – 1 hour paddle boat ride into the Underground River: Each boat will have a boatman with search light as one enters the pitch-dark inner recesses of the cavern.
- Bufet lunch
- 4:00 -5:00 pm Estimated time of arrival at hotel
*Itinerary and time may change without prior notice. For Peak Season there will also be a second batch starting later.
**Early booking is advised as permits are limited – only a limited number of permits are issued per day. For Peak Season (summer), be sure to book more than one month in advance.